- Peter Feinman
- Scarsdale Public Library, 54 Olmsted Road, Scarsdale
- May 25, 2017
- 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm
The Prophecies of Neferti: Making Egypt Safe Again
Rise against what is before you!
Lo, the great no longer rule the land,
What was made has been unmade,
Re should begin to recreate!
Asiatics roam the land,
Foes have risen in the East,
Asiatics have come down to Egypt,…
One will build the Walls-of the-Ruler
To build the Walls-of-the Ruler
To bar Asiatics from entering Egypt;
Then Order will return to its seat,
While Chaos is driven away.
In ancient times, the great civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt were aware of the existence of subhuman “others” from beyond the pale. While Egypt and Mesopotamia built great structures that would awe the lesser beings who did not live along their rivers, they also knew that those star-struck people were knocking on the door ceaselessly trying to enter the ancient “Emerald City” where the superior civilizations were located. So what should Egypt and Mesopotamia do prevent the alien riff raff from entering their lands? The answer was simple: Build a wall. And that is exactly what both civilizations did.
Peter Feinman is the founder and president of the Institute of History, Archaeology, and Education, a non-profit organization which provides enrichment programs for schools, professional development program for teachers, and public programs. He received his B.A. in history from the University of Pennsylvania, a M.Ed. from New York University, an MBA from New York University, and an Ed. D. from Columbia University. His interests cross disciplinary boundaries including American history, ancient civilizations, biblical history, and New York history.
He advocates for state and local history in the curriculum, teacher training, and cultural heritage tourism and for the well-being of the social fabric. In support of these efforts, he writes a blog about the state of New York State History.
He supports public outreach of ancient civilization through participation in the multiple organizations. His forthcoming book is Jerusalem Throne Games: Battle of Biblical Stories after the Death of David.
- Scenic Hudson, Putnam History Museum, Chapel of Our Lady Restoration and St. Mary in the Highlands Church
- Cold Spring, New York
- June 3, 2017
- 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
See where the canons of the Union Army were built.
See where immigrants from Ireland built their first church, worked the foundry, and created a school for their children.
See the scenic Hudson River.
Enjoy lunch and walking the main street of a classic American village
(9:30am – 10:30am Foundry Dock Park and Chapel of Our Lady Restoration
Park at Metro North Station ‑ Free)
Foundry Dock Park: This riverfront park, a perfect spot to marvel at the Hudson Highlands, was the busy loading dock of the West Point Foundry. Located just southeast of here, the West Point Foundry was established to produce artillery for the U.S. government. Finished goods were transported by rail to a pier stretching into the river off Foundry Dock Park (you can see a portion of its remains at low tide) and then shipped worldwide.
Chapel of Our Lady Restoration: Originally known as Chapel of Our Lady, The Chapel Restoration, was originally built in 1833, in the Greek Revival style to serve Catholic workers of the Foundry. Abandoned in 1906, it was a charred, weather‑ravaged ruin until its restoration in the 1970s. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(Drive to WPFP Parking Lot)
10:30am – 12:30pm Tour of West Point Foundry Preserve
West Point Foundry Preserve: Established in 1818 to supply the U.S. government with artillery, the ironworks employed hundreds of workers who produced some of America’s first steam engines, locomotives and ironclad ships, as well as pipes for New York City’s water system and Parrott guns, cannon credited with winning the Civil War. The foundry’s owners also were business pioneers, among the first to control every aspect of manufacturing, from raw material to product distribution. The preserve trails follow old rail beds and pass extensive remains of the casting house, boring mill and other essential foundry structures that led to the preserve’s inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. Exciting new interpretive features including a full‑scale sculptural model of the 36‑foot water wheel that powered the boring mill tell the story of the 87‑acre site’s contributions to America’s Industrial Revolution and the Civil War, as well as the cleanup leading to its astonishing ecological renewal.
(Drive to St. Mary’s Parking Lot, short walk to Restaurant on Main Street, Cold Spring)
12:30pm – 2:00pm Lunch on Main Street
(walk back to St. Mary’s)
2:00pm – 2:45pm St. Mary in the Highlands Church
St. Mary in the Highlands Church: Completed in 1868 St. Mary’s was the collective gift of Robert Parker Parrott, Gouverneur Kemble, Gouverneur Paulding and Frederick Plummer James and was built largely with profits made by the foundry during the Civil War. A marble tablet at the rear of the nave has the names of Parrott, Kemble and Mary Kemble, Parrott’s wife.
(Drive to Putnam History Museum)
2:45pm – 4:00pm Putnam History Museum
Putnam History Museum: The PHM has been collecting, preserving and interpreting the artifacts of history of Philipstown, the Hudson Highlands and the West Point Foundry for over 100 years. The West Point Foundry Gallery features John Fergeson Weir’s painting The Gun Foundry as well as a newly restored Model 1863 10‑pounder Parrott Rifle and other items cast at the foundry.